Sussex church celebrates 175 years


Make text smaller Make text larger



Photos



  • Photo by Viktoria-Leigh Wagner The First Presbyterian Church of Sussex is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year.




  • Photo by Viktoria-Leigh Wagner Madelyn Coykendall, 94, of Sussex has been a membere of the First Presbyterian Church of Sussex for 75 years.




  • Photo by Viktoria-Leigh Wagner Arthur Van Houten, amember of the church for eight years, is seen reciting his original poem, "The Big White Church Up on the Hill."



The month of May ‘may or may not’ mean something special, but for the 1st Presbyterian Church of Sussex, it’s the month their church was born.

The 175th celebration was a two-year process. The church’s Anniversary Committee most recently scheduled an old-fashioned service last October to precede the May festivities.

On Thursday, May 1, the church held a Vespers Worship Service and honored the first 28 members that started the Third Presbyterian Church of Wantage in 1839.

The day after, a dessert smorgasbord was coupled with a talent show of 17 acts featuring members of the congregation demonstrating their musical and literary abilities. One of the highlights was eight-year church member Arthur Van Houten’s reciting of his original poem, ‘The Big White Church Up on the Hill.’

An Anniversary Dinner was held Saturday, May 3, at Hope Presbyterian Church (1441 County Road 565 in Wantage). The Rev. Charles F. Holm, who served the 1st Presbyterian Church of Sussex from 1977-80, made an appearance. Madelyn Coykendall, 94, a church member 75 years, was recognized with a framed picture of the church.

The weekend concluded with the 175th Anniversary Worship Service Sunday, May 4, back at the 1st Presbyterian Church of Sussex, led by church formers the Rev. Matthew Schramm, who served from 2004-2009, and Rev. Bruce Gillette, served 1985-1994. Dr. Charles Jenkins, who completed his interim ministry 2002-04, also was present at Sunday’s service. The church’s children’s choir sang for the occasion.

Amy Lawrence has served as minister of the church for about a year.

“There’s an old Greek proverb that says, ‘A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in,’" she said. "The original 28 members planted the seeds of a church they never saw the full fruit of, but our generation has.”

“I think the anniversary is a wonderful tribute to the church that served the communities of Sussex and Wantage for 175 years,” said Committee Elder Everett Burns. “Our committee worked together collaboratively so well to make those first four days a wonderful celebration of church history.”

On April 16, 1788, the Rev. Elias VanBunschooten organized the Dutch Reformed Church in Wantage in response to a petition signed by 55 residents of the upper Clove neighborhood.

That year, VanBunschooten became the church’s pastor with 50 congregational members.

After VanBunschooten’s death in 1815, the Clove Church dissolved and merged with the First Presbyterian Church of Wantage on Nov. 24, 1817, organized under the N.J. Presbytery on Aug. 11, 1818, with 25 members. The Rev. Gershom Williams became the first pastor.

Incidentally, the Old Clove Church celebrated 225 years in 2013.

Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Wantage were authorized to employ a minister to preach one-third of the time at the Clove Church, one-third of the time in Deckertown (the name of Sussex Borough until 1892) and the remainder of time between two Beemerville meeting houses.

The first congregation to leave the Clove Church established the Second Church of Beemerville July 13, 1834, and erected a stone church to worship in shortly afterwards. The Rev. Enos Osborn became the first pastor.

The Old Clove Church that stands today on Rt. 23 in Wantage was built in 1829 for $3,300. May 1, a decade later, the pastor of the Clove Church — the Rev. George Pierson — organized the Third Presbyterian Church of Wantage with 28 members at the request of several members of his congregation living in Deckertown. Pierson served as a moderator until Rev. James W. Wood took over as the church’s first pastor in October 1839.

This congregation met in a meeting house before a church could be built in 1844 on 21 Unionville Ave., the current location of the 1st Presbyterian Church in Sussex. The church stands on land that was once owned by Lewis Whitaker, who became the first ruling church Elder in 1873.

The name was changed from the Third Presbyterian Church of Wantage on Feb. 27, 1892 to the First Presbyterian Church of Deckertown, during which year the church was rebuilt and enlarged at the expense of $6,000.

On March 2, 1902, ‘Deckertown’ became ‘Sussex,’ but it wasn’t until Jan. 14, 1955 that the church’s name changed from the First Presbyterian Church of Deckertown to the First Presbyterian Church of Sussex.


Make text smaller Make text larger

Comments

Pool Rules



MUST READ NEWS

Image Tillie Smith just in time for Halloween
HACKETTSTOWN — Just in time for Halloween, Centenary Stage Company takes a chilling journey back to the final days of the infamous Tillie Smith. Over 100 years ago, the...
Image Stags advance in playoffs
The Sussex Stags defeated the Bronx Colts (New York) in semipro football on Saturday, Sept. 30. The final score was 33-20. The...
Image Song and Dance Men to launch Fringe Festival
Direct from New York City, Song & Dance Men launches Centenary Stage Company’s annual Fringe Festival on Oct.
Image Treasure Island coming to Newton
The Newton Theatre presents the fun-filled family adventure Treasure Island on Sunday, Feb. 25, at 1 and 4 p.m. Tickets will go on...

VIDEOS



Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!

  • Enter your email address in the box below.
  • Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
  • Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Community Newspapers


MOST READ

Local News
CLEAR introduced into Vernon
  • Oct 16, 2017
Letters to the Editor
Re-elect Jean Murphy
  • Oct 16, 2017
Local News
Vernon Valley Karate about families
  • Oct 9, 2017
Letters to the Editor
Council members not holding up sale of Faline building
  • Oct 17, 2017
Obituaries
Michael J. Esposito
  • Oct 13, 2017
Obituaries
Stephen McGoonan
  • Oct 13, 2017
Entertainment
Godspell finishes run at Cornerstone
  • Oct 9, 2017

MOST COMMENTED



Find more about Weather in Lafayette, NJ