IRS offers tips for after tax season

| 22 Feb 2012 | 08:22

    MOUNTAINSIDE — “New Jerseyans who have already filed their federal tax returns may still have questions,” New Jersey’s IRS Spokesperson Gregg Semanick said. “Here’s what you need to know about your refund status, mistakes and what to do if you move or owe the IRS.” Where’s My Refund? You can go online to check the status of your 2008 refund 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or three to four weeks after you mail a paper return. Be sure to have a copy of your 2008 tax return available because you will need to know the filing status, the first Social Security Number (SSN) shown on the return, and the exact whole-dollar amount of the refund. To check on your refund, do one of the following: Go to, and click on “Where’s My Refund.” Call 1-800-829-4477 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for automated refund information. Call 1-800-829-1954 - hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time. Change of address? If you move after you filed your return, New Jerseyans should send IRS Form 8822, Change of Address, to the Internal Revenue Service Center in Kansas City MO 64999. If you are expecting a refund, also notify the post office serving your old address. This will help in forwarding your check to your new address (unless you chose direct deposit of your refund). What if I made a mistake? Errors may delay your refund or result in notices being sent to you. If you discover an error on your return, you can file an amended return. You should correct your return by using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, if after you have filed it, you find that: 1. You did not report some income, 2. You claimed deductions or credits you should not have claimed, 3. You did not claim deductions or credits you could have claimed, or 4. You should have claimed a different filing status. (Once you file a joint return, you cannot choose to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return. However, an executor may be able to make this change for a deceased spouse.) What to do if I owe? If you have not yet filed your tax return do so immediately to minimize the late filing penalty based on the unpaid balance. The late filing penalty is 5 percent per month up to five months that a return is outstanding. File your return and pay as much as you can. The IRS will send you a notice for the balance due and will charge interest and penalties on the unpaid balance. You can also request a payment plan prior to receiving the IRS notice. You can ask to make monthly installment payments. You can apply for an IRS installment agreement using the IRS Web-based Online Payment Agreement application on This Web-based application allows eligible taxpayers or their authorized representatives to self-qualify, apply for, and receive immediate notification of approval. You can also request an installment agreement by submitting a completed Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request.